Thursday, January 21, 2010

Riley is a proud owner of a $250.00 nebulizer

Angel Baby caught RSV
I think these are the saddest pictures ever!
So last Thursday night Riley started coughing and throwing up. The next day he still continued to throw up and his cough got worse. The nurse side of me decided to pull out my stethoscope and examine Riley. Of course I did just graduate and hardly know anything about anything but I heard lots and lots of junk rattling around in his lungs. I called the doctors and made an appointment. The kids regular doctor was all booked for the day so I decided to see another doctor. We arrived at the doctors and ended up waiting in the waiting room for over an hour. Taylor was running wild and Riley was crying. We finally got called back to the examine room -I was happy thinking we were finally close to see the doctor, ha not so lucky, we ended up having to wait an additional half an hour in the examine room! By the time the doctor came in my nerves were shot from trying to keep Taylor out of trouble and Riley from crying. I explained to the doctor that Riley had been throwing up all day and the night before then she listened to his lungs and examined him. She then said, "yeah he doesn't sound so good. Do you know what a humidifier is?" I was thinking lady are you joking of course I know what that is and thats all I can do for my little sick baby? Anyhow we went home at that. Riley continued to throw up and sound really congested. But the weird thing is Riley still proved he is the angel baby. He wasn't super fussy and still was super smiley. I finally took him back to the doctors on Tuesday when it was confirmed that he has RSV. They got us set up with a nebulizer treatment to do at home. The poor kid has to sit for 10-15 minutes with the mask on. But being the Angel baby that he is he hardly cries during his treatment and mostly sleeps. He is doing much better and keeping his milk down even after only being on the medication for a day!


RILEY WE LOVE YOU!

8 comments:

Jana said...

Seriously? Do you know what a humidifier is? I am so sick of the same suggestions from the pediatricians. Every time, it's "Humidifier and good luck with that." (Well if I thought it could be treated with a humidifier, I wouldn't have called. Thanks.)
Poor little guy. Give him a kiss and a hug from us, hang in there, and let me know if you need ANYTHING!

Jana said...

and, if we end up getting rsv, i will be calling you to see if we can rent a nebulizer from you. Then you can recoup some of your cost on that!

mj said...

poor sweet boy. RSV is the pits. And really...how did you keep from knocking that doctor out? "do you know what a humidifier is?" that is the junk they tried to pull on us before C was diagnosed with Asthma. My answer is yes...and it has been on since sept! I hope he gets feeling well soon.

thanks for the "help" with the blessing outfit ;o)

Lera said...

Poor baby! So sorry you and he are going through this.

Melissa & Cameron said...

Poor guy! What a nit wit Dr. sometimes don't you just wish you had the liscense and then you could just prescribe the nebulizer and meds and bypass the whole Dr. thing? Hope lil Mr. and mom are feeling better.

Amber said...

Oh Missy, that is so sad. I'm sorry. I hope this works for him, RSV can be really scary. What a dumb doctor, the first thing I thought when I read that was "What? Do you think she lives in a hole?" Hope he gets better soon.

Shelby said...

Poor Riley! I hope he feels better soon. I don't know who your regular pediatrician is, but you should go to Weipert Pediatrics. He is right by the AF hospital and their policy is that they will always see sick kids the same day. He is a fantastic doctor. I was so sad we had to change peds. Sometimes I think I would like to just take Maya to Utah every couple of months for her well child check ups with him!! Hope your doing well. Me and Maya miss you guys!!

Adrianne Miller said...

Oh, poor baby! So sorry. I hate when babies are sick. They are way too helpless!